Hawkshead 4 miles. Located on a beautiful, 5000-acre private country estate of diverse lake, forest, woodland and meadow landscapes, this charming courtyard of Victorian farm buildings, dating from 1890, sits in a superb central setting for a Lake District getaway to remember. Each of these delightful Lake District cottages has been thoughtfully refurbished and retain much original character, well balanced with modern furnishings and set just one mile from the shores of Lake Windermere. Each has been finished to a high standard, with most offering cosy open fires or wood burners to snuggle beside after a busy day. The nearest Village is Hawkshead, situated 4 miles from the Estate. The nearest train station is Grange-over-sands and the nearest motorway is the M6 (J36).
There are some wonderful on-site facilities to take advantage of, which include a fantastic indoor heated swimming pool, table tennis room and children’s play area. This magical estate offers an escape to another world with a 2.5-acre lake, just a 10-minute walk from the courtyard, which is well stocked with rainbow trout and boasts a serene setting for hazy afternoons spent fly fishing.
The estate’s grounds provide a wonderland for all ages and offer plenty of places to stop for a picnic or enjoy a quiet stroll or a gentle cycle along the lakeshore. Make the most of the estate by booking activities with the on-site events team Graythwaite Adventure. The extensive list of premium activities and excursions, designed to keep you entertained regardless of the weather, includes but is not limited to; 4X4 Off-roading, Archery, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Paddle boarding, Canoeing, RIB tours, Sailing, Bubble Football, Guided Walks, Bush craft and more! All activities can be completely tailored to suit your needs and requirements to create the perfect activity schedule for you.
Moreover, if there is an activity that tickles your fancy however is not listed please do not hesitate to contact the team. No request is too big or small, and they will endeavour to do their best to deliver.
Graythwaite customers can also avail of a multitude of benefits for local services and attractions. Enjoy discounted rates for Go Ape, mountain bike hire and meals at the nearby Lakeside Hotel. The on-site shop offers everything from milk to luxury local spirits and delicious welcome packs with succulent, locally-sourced food. Get in touch with the Estate to organise your pre-arrival order today. This group of Lake District properties provides an unforgettable escape and is an excellent destination for a special holiday spent relaxing and enjoying the tranquil setting and fantastic on-site facilities. Booked together, the properties can accommodate 86 people.
Bibby Lot is a mid-terrace cottage situated near Hawkshead, Cumbria. Set on a grand 5,000 acre estate, this cottage is perfectly located to enjoy the countryside. Inside the owners have created a smart retreat, with a marvellous collection of animal art, which gives the property an eclectic and charming feel that makes it very memorable and homely. This homely vibe continues throughout, starting with the light and spacious lounge area. Where you can enjoy the modern comforts from the flatscreen TV and cosy sofas. Bask in the warmth emanating from the lovely open fire surrounded by a charming stone mantelpiece. Move towards the open-plan fitted kitchen and dining area with seating for up to four people. It has been fitted a lovely set of wooden units and has all the appliances you could need. The property has three bedrooms: one double, one twin and one adult bunk, with a separate family bathroom. Relax and have a luxurious soak in the tub with a glass of wine and a good book to wash off the tiring events of the day. Off-road parking is available. Enjoy the blazing sun and surrounding countryside gardens with a shared patio area and furniture. Take advantage of the on-site tennis court, fitness suite and 2.5 acre trout fishing lake. While you stay at Bibby Lot, visit Wray Castle, a mock-gothic castle with many signs of its varied history, including its institutional painting schemes. With guided tours to witness its grand rooms and possessions. Even the kids can have fun in the dress up and story-telling rooms. There are even outdoor activities, such as rope swinging, den-building and plenty of walking trails. Bibby Lot is the place to be for sightseers interested in the village’s rich history.
- Three bedrooms: 1 x double, 1 x twin, 1 x adult bunks
- Bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC
- Ground floor basin and WC
- Kitchen with dining area
- Sitting room with open fire.
- Electric central heating with open fire
- Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, shared use of washing machine by arrangement, shared use of tumble dryer in table tennis room, TV with Freeview, DVD, WiFi, public phone in courtyard
- Fuel, power and starter pack for fire inc. in rent
- Kindling available £4/bag, coal available £8/bag
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Travel cot and highchair
- Ample off road parking
- Shared patio with furniture
- Shared use of estate grounds and facilities inc. indoor heated swimming pool, table tennis room (please bring your own racquets and balls), children's play area, 2.5-acre trout fishing lake
- Two well-behaved dogs welcome
- Sorry, no smoking
- Shops 4 miles, pubs 2 miles
- Water from private supply, fed from freshwater lake
- To avoid disappointment, we recommend booking Graythwaite Adventure in advance
- Graythwaite fishery is free for all guests and equipment can be hired locally, a small fee is applicable to keep your catch, rod fishing license required
- Mobile phone signal may be limited due to the location of the property
- Please Note: This property has a £250 Good Housekeeping Bond
- Please Note: For your safety and in line with the Covid-19 guidelines, with effect from the 3rd September 2020 access to the swimming pool will be limited to hourly private sessions, advanced booking is recommended and can be done by contacting email@example.com
- Please consider the following information when making your booking; the owner is doing everything possible to keep the facilities open, but there is a possibility that they may be restricted or closed at the time of your stay if the situation or guidance regarding Covid-19 changes
Note: This property has a Good Housekeeping bond of £250.
About the location
Ambleside 4 miles; Kendal 24 miles.
The picturesque village of Hawkshead still retains the charm and character that so endeared it to its most famous residents - William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter. Visitors can wander the wealth of tiny alleyways, thoroughfares, archways and courtyards between the whitewashed 17th century houses. There are many pleasant inns, teashops, guest houses and gift shops in the village, as well as the Beatrix Potter Gallery, which houses an annually changing exhibition of the famous author’s illustrations and stories. The other famous Hawkshead enthusiast, William Wordsworth, attended the Old Grammar School in 1779-87, which still stands today, and you can visit the building where the Lakeland poet developed his love of the form, and even see the desk into which he scratched his name as a small boy! Newby Bridge is ten miles away and offers attractions such as the Aquarium of the Lakes and Windermere Lake Cruises, sailing daily between Ambleside, Bowness and Lakeside. With stunning scenery and numerous attractions within easy touring distance, Hawkshead is in an ideal location at any time of the year.
As well as the wide range of activities on-site, The Graythwaite Estate are pleased to offer you the following services to make your stay even more special:
*Maps and recommendations for walks around the estate and surrounding area, along with a list of things to see and do, and the pick of the best local pubs and restaurants
*The arrangement of canoeing, bushcraft, climbing, guided walks and other activities - just let the estate know and they’ll take care of it
*Milk and provisions from Town End Farm can be delivered to your doorstep during your stay
More information about these superb deals and activites can be obtained directly with the Estate once your booking is confirmed.
Note: Water from private supply, fed from freshwater lake.
Note: Licence required for fishing, equipment can be hired locally, fishing FOC unless catch is made, then small fee applicable.
Note: Limited mobile reception.
This property offers the following short breaks:
- Last minute